welcome guest

Amazing Hit Counter

Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olympics Opening Ceremony


Whatever your political views on the Olympics being held in Beijing, you can't argue that the opening presentation was amazing!!

I wanted to find out more on the designer of the extraordinary design of the Bird nest. I was quite surprised or should I say, not surprised at all on what I found.

A Conversation with Ai Weiwei, the Disappointed "Bird's Nest" Designer
Following up on yesterday's story of Beijing's "Bird's Nest" stadium designer Ai Weiwei complaining about the Chinese government's handling of the upcoming Olympics, we ran into this interview with the designer in the NY Times, talking about both the construction of the National Stadium (its proper name) and much, much more on his political views.
Here's a bit:
Q: Are you going to the opening ceremony?
Ai: I'm not attending the opening ceremony, I'm not interested in it, and I haven't received any invitation. If I need to be more clear on why I'm not willing to be part of the ceremony, it's that I think it's too far from the spirit of freedom. I've always thought of this ceremony as a product of government bureaucracy, rather than a natural celebration and expression generated among free citizens. I feel that there are too many regrets in this ceremony, which could make me unhappy.

No comments: